Ok, you’ve made the big decision… time to pack up some of your belongings and put them in storage. Now, no matter your reasons – downsizing, decluttering, moving, getting ready for a renovation – there are some tried and true tips to smart packing.
First, be prepared in advance of your container delivery:
Portable Storage Packing Checklist
- Give yourself lots of time: we suggest making a comprehensive list and starting to pack 2-4 weeks prior to the container being delivered
- Measure and sketch out how your possessions will be configured in the container
- Plan for a balanced load: distribute heavy items throughout the container rather than placing them all on one side or end
- Mind your health: if you have heavy items, put these in smaller boxes, and rent our dollies, hand trucks and lift straps for your convenience.
- Secure items in the container using straps and/or ropes
- Use moving blankets and furniture padding to protect items from damage
- Pack fragile items last
- Use wardrobe boxes to store clothing
- Don’t use newspaper to wrap fine china or other delicate items. It can stain. Use bubble wrap or appropriate packing paper
- Always stack dishes upwards when packing.
- Avoid used boxes. You don’t know if the box will be strong enough to support your possessions.
- Use packing tape. Avoid duct tape
- Clearly label all boxes on top and sides
- As you take apart furniture and other items, make sure to tape all parts to the main base.
- Use labelled ziplock bags for furniture hardware
- Try to pack all electronic equipment, like stereos in their original boxes. Otherwise use bubble wrap when packing these items
- With electronics, be sure to bag and label all accessories such as remote controls and cables
- Always pack breakables over a padded surface.
- Always tape boxes. Don’t interlock the tops.
- Don’t use boxes without tops. No tops make it impossible to stack properly in the container.
- Use speciality boxes when packing fine china and clothing.